Skip to main content

MY LIFE: MY RESPONSIBILITY



I lost my first job opportunity today and as usual, I want you to be the first to know.  I woke up as early as the cock does and prepared myself fully by 7:00am for an interview that was scheduled to start at 10:00am. Just before I could finish locking my door, the rains descended from nowhere like an angry lion. I quickly unlocked my door and went back inside. I tried searching for my raincoat and umbrella only to realize that I have not owned any for close to a year now. I redirected my hope to my neighbors but since the morning was still young, I had to allow them to enjoy the extra time of sleep they had.

After about an hour of waiting for the cats and dogs to be tamed, I woke them up with a knock on their door. To my surprise, none of them could help. My heart began racing like Usain Bolt: stepping into the rains was never an option because of my medical condition. In my anguish, I dropped down unto my carpet in tears, helplessly hoping and praying for a breakthrough but to no avail. It rained as if it was never going to stop till around 11:30am when it took a short break. I quickly rushed to the premises but no one was even ready to hear my story: All hope was lost.

“I was all dressed up”, I said, “I was ready! The situation was out of my hands. It wasn’t my fau...” Just when I was about ending my last statement, a voice came from behind me, “Whose fault was it, then; me?” I turned to look at him and it was the boss, himself. “I guess not”, he continued “others were able to make it, dear. You only gave someone else a better chance to be employed so just go home, get some sleep and prepare fully next time”

Without saying another word, I stared at him as he entered his office with pride. He was right, though. My excuses mattered to no one. It was my duty to foresee all those unexpected circumstances and prepare towards them but I didn’t and it cost me that much. From the start, I blamed the manager for fixing it at that bad time and not postponing it after this heavy rains, knowing very well that it was going to be a misfortune to most of us; I blamed my neighbors for not helping; I blamed that thief for stealing my cute umbrella; I blamed my little sister for not returning my raincoat; I blamed my medical condition and most importantly, I blamed the rain for descending at that time.

Little did I know that none of those really deserved to be blamed: rather, I did. I should have prepared well for anything; I should have gone for my raincoat from my sister or bought a new one when I realized she had no intention to return it; I should have bought a new umbrella after the old one was stolen; I could have even reported at the venue much earlier than the time I was ready to. I had to accept the blame: I had to take responsibility for the consequences of my negligence.

Now, what are your excuses; who are you blaming for that misfortune? Students get bad grades and it's their lecturers who hate them; half the class fail and the lecturer concludes that the students are all just lazy; you get to church so late and you blame the driver; you do worthless things for money and you blame hunger; your life is a mess and you blame nature. Who are you trying to convince? 

See, you have got one life to live; hence you and only you are responsible for how situations are handled in your life. Nobody really cares to know the reason why you haven’t made it in life yet or the dozens of excuses you have piled up to give: they all want to see you in action, making some efforts. Quit finding reasons why it can’t or didn’t work and start doing something about it. You are the captain of this very ship (your life), so, take charge and be vigilant: for every little sail you make counts and you are responsible for the direction it’s heading.

Comments

  1. Very true, thanks for the read dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to play the blame game...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great piece in deed, thank you and happy birthday to you dear. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work
    Happy birthday to dearie hope this day opens new opportunities for u

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday dearest, May God bless and sustain you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice piece, happy birthday dear

    ReplyDelete
  7. No one is responsible for your life but you. YOU decide whether to be successful or not, to happy or not. YOU DECIDE. Happy blessed birthday Kass and wonderful piece

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderfully and fearfully made Dr. Kassy...the journey of life seems long but very short...As today marks the day of your birth...I pray for long life, strength, grace and the anointing of God upon your life... Happy and glorious birthday sweetheart

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and true, Blessed birthday Kassy. Go girl, much love

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said doc
    Wish you a glorious birthday 🎉🎂🎈

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well said
    Wish you a glorious birthday 🎂🎈🎉

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belated birthday dear.

    Nice piece. You been ready to accept the blame even if there is a clear indication that you can blame someone is a sign of maturity.

    In every situation is good we look at both sides of the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well said
    Wish you a glorious birthday 🎂🎈🎉

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LIFE IS ALL WE’VE GOT

The energy with which he pushed the fly away while it was a mile away reminded me of the greatest gift we have: to be alive. I stood behind him at the entrance of the church whiles the priest gave his homily (message) since we were late for mass. According to the catholic tradition, if you get to church during the homily, you will have to stay outside to listen until it is over, in order not to be a distraction for those already   inside. The innocent housefly made a silly mistake to head towards him for a minute and it had its ass kicked like a wretched thief. He reminded me of the friend I had lost, a few days ago: A handsome, smart and an intelligent guy who had better techniques of sacking flies than he did. There he lied lifeless and quiet, couldn’t even raise a finger to sack the flies that walked on his own face; and I remembered how energetic he was the last time we met, his smile, his jokes and the life that flew out of him. Now, the question is: of all the thing

JEALOUS

In the words of Michael Jackson, I perch at the corner of my lonely bed and sing “Another day has gone. I'm still all alone. How could this be that you're not here with me? You never said goodbye. Someone tell me why: Did you have to go and leave my world so cold? Everyday, I sit and ask myself: How did love slip away?” After I drop down from my “thought-ride” and notice, all I had been doing for hours was thinking about you, I look back at my distressed self and as Labrinth will put it, admit to myself shamefully, “Well, ‘It's hard for me to say, I'm jealous of the way… You're happy without me’”. I asked whether you were always going to be there for me and you said “Yes”. It didn’t take a long time for you to find someone else. Now, all the memories of me in your brain seem to have faded already. What about the late nights we stayed up together; the sunsets we enjoyed; the kiss you accidentally planted on my lips and the secrets we shared?  I can’

MY LIFE AS A BILLIONAIRE

If only life was as simple as it’s made up in fairytales, I would have built my kingdom on an island with beautiful flowers and grass all over; grown my own food and an animal farm with all sorts of animals that qualify to be meat. I would have molded my own perfect man out of fine black clay: his eyes like an ocean of love; his hair, so refreshing like a horse’s mane; his body built strongly with muscles and beautiful legs. Oh… My children… My children would have grown in a paradise; played with birds, butterflies, and fairies. They would have… Oh… wake up! Cut the crap! Life is not as simple as a fairytale. In the physical, “Money” is the captain of all ships. If you miss that guy, even for a day, your world will start crashing down on you like a broken mansion. Sometimes I ask: since when did life become so difficult; since when did living become so expensive; since when did money become the vital essence of survival; since when did it gain so much value in human existen