Skip to main content

MY COUNTRY IS ME


“Oh no! I have dirtied the compound.  My things have become rubbish on the streets. So annoying!” Those were the first words Mr. Citizen used on himself when he noticed that the plastic bag he was holding was torn and that some of the things he had bought earlier might have dropped on the way without him knowing. He took a quick “census” to see if those valuable items were intact and to his surprise, they were.

We all represent Mr. Citizen in our homes, communities, towns, cities and the country, as a whole. What do you think about first when you find yourself with an empty pure water sachet after enjoying the chilled water in it; what about the yoghurt container; the banana peels; the toffee cover; the plastic bag that harbored the “egg with pepper” or the pie or puff loaf you were head over heels chopping? Dropping it wherever you stand? Answer this to yourself with all sincerity.

I once asked someone: I know you know perfectly well that dropping this on the street is not right so why do it, in the first place? And the response was simple: It is someone else’s job to pick it up. Meaning, if he doesn’t dump it, the person will be paid for nothing. Is that what you also think? Who said that person will not have anything to do? If you drop it in the bin, he will have to clear that too. What happens if, by the time the person reports to clean, this rubbish has been swept by the wind into the gutter; What about if no one has been assigned to clean that particular place?

We witness floods all around us during the rainy seasons and all we do is to continue praying to God to help us. Is God a “zoom lion” (refuse manager)? Did we call him when we were dumping unto the streets; what about into the gutters? Did we invite him to measure the land when we were building in the ways of water bodies or in waterlogged areas? (We will save that story for tomorrow). We sit in our expensive cars and drop garbage on the streets through our side windows like it’s nobody’s business. Our streets have suffered enough violence already but the sad truth is that some of us are teaching our children to also do the same. We go about saying “I love my country, Ghana! I love Mama Africa!” Well, then, prove it!

 Plastic waste has become a very serious issue in the world, as a whole, now: dropping it at the wrong destination makes it, even, worse. Taking good care of our garbage should be as important as taking good care of ourselves and our families. In my renowned senior high school, one thing we were taught that is stuck with us is “Your bag is your bin until you find one”. We are not ignorant of the consequences of our actions so why don’t we care? Because we think that toffee cover is too small to be relevant; or that pure water sachet is just one and might not affect anything in any way? Well, guess what: the person standing beside you is thinking the same thing and so is the one on the other side. What, then, becomes of our environment if we all keep dumping anyhow and anywhere?

We are all guilty, in one way or the other: Either we dropped it ourselves or we saw someone else do it and didn’t say anything for the fear of the heavily loaded reply we might receive. I know this message might not sit well with most of my readers but the truth is: we are all responsible for whatever happens in our country. My country is me and so is yours.

Comments

  1. Let's start by doing something about it to save the future generation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insightful and worth reading
    God Bless you for bringing to our notice what most of us to see to be on our blind side
    God Bless you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great piece dear
    The campaign against uncleanliness is very crucial for our country now

    ReplyDelete
  4. God deserves our praises always.Indeed he deserves our praises.Your praises oh Lord shall continually be in my mouth oh God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Say some again ooo

    Nice piece dho

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LIFE IS ALL WE’VE GOT

The energy with which he pushed the fly away while it was a mile away reminded me of the greatest gift we have: to be alive. I stood behind him at the entrance of the church whiles the priest gave his homily (message) since we were late for mass. According to the catholic tradition, if you get to church during the homily, you will have to stay outside to listen until it is over, in order not to be a distraction for those already   inside. The innocent housefly made a silly mistake to head towards him for a minute and it had its ass kicked like a wretched thief. He reminded me of the friend I had lost, a few days ago: A handsome, smart and an intelligent guy who had better techniques of sacking flies than he did. There he lied lifeless and quiet, couldn’t even raise a finger to sack the flies that walked on his own face; and I remembered how energetic he was the last time we met, his smile, his jokes and the life that flew out of him. Now, the question is: of all the thing

JEALOUS

In the words of Michael Jackson, I perch at the corner of my lonely bed and sing “Another day has gone. I'm still all alone. How could this be that you're not here with me? You never said goodbye. Someone tell me why: Did you have to go and leave my world so cold? Everyday, I sit and ask myself: How did love slip away?” After I drop down from my “thought-ride” and notice, all I had been doing for hours was thinking about you, I look back at my distressed self and as Labrinth will put it, admit to myself shamefully, “Well, ‘It's hard for me to say, I'm jealous of the way… You're happy without me’”. I asked whether you were always going to be there for me and you said “Yes”. It didn’t take a long time for you to find someone else. Now, all the memories of me in your brain seem to have faded already. What about the late nights we stayed up together; the sunsets we enjoyed; the kiss you accidentally planted on my lips and the secrets we shared?  I can’

MY LIFE AS A BILLIONAIRE

If only life was as simple as it’s made up in fairytales, I would have built my kingdom on an island with beautiful flowers and grass all over; grown my own food and an animal farm with all sorts of animals that qualify to be meat. I would have molded my own perfect man out of fine black clay: his eyes like an ocean of love; his hair, so refreshing like a horse’s mane; his body built strongly with muscles and beautiful legs. Oh… My children… My children would have grown in a paradise; played with birds, butterflies, and fairies. They would have… Oh… wake up! Cut the crap! Life is not as simple as a fairytale. In the physical, “Money” is the captain of all ships. If you miss that guy, even for a day, your world will start crashing down on you like a broken mansion. Sometimes I ask: since when did life become so difficult; since when did living become so expensive; since when did money become the vital essence of survival; since when did it gain so much value in human existen