Skip to main content

LIFE IS ALL WE’VE GOT


The energy with which he pushed the fly away while it was a mile away reminded me of the greatest gift we have: to be alive.

I stood behind him at the entrance of the church whiles the priest gave his homily (message) since we were late for mass. According to the catholic tradition, if you get to church during the homily, you will have to stay outside to listen until it is over, in order not to be a distraction for those already  inside. The innocent housefly made a silly mistake to head towards him for a minute and it had its ass kicked like a wretched thief.

He reminded me of the friend I had lost, a few days ago: A handsome, smart and an intelligent guy who had better techniques of sacking flies than he did. There he lied lifeless and quiet, couldn’t even raise a finger to sack the flies that walked on his own face; and I remembered how energetic he was the last time we met, his smile, his jokes and the life that flew out of him.
Now, the question is: of all the things that are registered in your name, which one do you really own?

I say: Life is all you truly own.

If you gain all there is to acquire and you don’t wake up the next morning, none of those possessions will follow you into your grave. Build your house with gold and have a room full of money, even if you are buried with gold when you are gone, how are you going to use it on your journey? And oh, don’t let the thieves know for they will dig you up and steal from the dead to live.

All I want to remind you of is: let your death resound your well lived life to the world. After you are gone, let the lives that you impacted mourn you out of the loss of a treasure and not as a formality.
You are not a god to live forever. Definitely, no matter how old you grow, your mouth will be filled with dirt and termites will feast on you like a holiday treat so cast some pride aside and help a fellow, show some love to a neighbor and share some excess because life, indeed life is all that you truly own.

Comments

  1. My first post. I hope you like it. Please, comment and share.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You write with the mouth of the heart and not the mind

      Delete
  2. Deep thoughts expressed so naturally. I love how you chose the most "insignificant" thing, a fly, to trigger the deepest and most human reflection. Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Elena.
      I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  3. Life...let it count while you still have it...great piece Dr. Kassy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice piece.I really love it. Indeed, Life is all we truly own. Thanks Kassy��

    ReplyDelete
  5. Powerful and thought-provoking message... I like it.. well done Pat. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sober reflection... Very deep Dr. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was quite the speech....impressive even!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thought provoking post. Thanks for the reminder ma'am

    ReplyDelete
  9. True talk dear, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let your death resound your well lived life..... enough for me. More grace Dr.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey dear, wonderful piece wanna read more

    ReplyDelete
  12. Life is all you got so live it well...great advice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely ....I want to work with you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?...

      patriciakasapa07@gmail.com

      Please share the details with me there.

      Delete
  14. Bravo����. Keep it up na Life is all we've got ampa.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice piece with unique way of choosing words.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vim Doc! True talk. Pride will do us no good. Lets truly love, care and spend good quality time with family and friends.Thats all the gold we can accumulate

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, Life is all that you truly own! Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  19. The way you're able to sustain our interest in reading and feed our thoughts with your dramatic write up is just awesome. I am inspired Dr. Kassy. God bless Kassydiaries

    ReplyDelete
  20. A great word to all. I am in love with this post. The connection between the fly and human life is superb.
    Truly lets all cast some pride aside and help a fellow, show some love to a neighbor and share some excess because life, indeed life is all that you truly own.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Indeed you words are on point

    ReplyDelete
  22. We do not own life, if we do as human as we are we would have found everything possible to never die. In fact dwell don't own anything. I beg to differ with the writer on the title. All in all the message is loud and clear. Nice start. Amen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. _smile_... Thanks but that is all we have got doesn't mean that we own it tho. I meant to say that it is the only thing that is valuable so we have to make it count.

      Delete
  23. Great piece Sissy. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great piece with so much wisdom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

JEALOUS

In the words of Michael Jackson, I perch at the corner of my lonely bed and sing “Another day has gone. I'm still all alone. How could this be that you're not here with me? You never said goodbye. Someone tell me why: Did you have to go and leave my world so cold? Everyday, I sit and ask myself: How did love slip away?” After I drop down from my “thought-ride” and notice, all I had been doing for hours was thinking about you, I look back at my distressed self and as Labrinth will put it, admit to myself shamefully, “Well, ‘It's hard for me to say, I'm jealous of the way… You're happy without me’”. I asked whether you were always going to be there for me and you said “Yes”. It didn’t take a long time for you to find someone else. Now, all the memories of me in your brain seem to have faded already. What about the late nights we stayed up together; the sunsets we enjoyed; the kiss you accidentally planted on my lips and the secrets we shared?  I can’

MY LIFE AS A BILLIONAIRE

If only life was as simple as it’s made up in fairytales, I would have built my kingdom on an island with beautiful flowers and grass all over; grown my own food and an animal farm with all sorts of animals that qualify to be meat. I would have molded my own perfect man out of fine black clay: his eyes like an ocean of love; his hair, so refreshing like a horse’s mane; his body built strongly with muscles and beautiful legs. Oh… My children… My children would have grown in a paradise; played with birds, butterflies, and fairies. They would have… Oh… wake up! Cut the crap! Life is not as simple as a fairytale. In the physical, “Money” is the captain of all ships. If you miss that guy, even for a day, your world will start crashing down on you like a broken mansion. Sometimes I ask: since when did life become so difficult; since when did living become so expensive; since when did money become the vital essence of survival; since when did it gain so much value in human existen